Yes, apparently the underscore (along with the space and hyphen) is a reserved character telling Finale to move to the next syllable. You would have to find a similar character, mapped to a different keystroke in the font, to force the underscore to appear by itself. I don't know what font you are using, so I couldn't venture a guess. At the worst, you could change font to one that HAD the character, just for one syllable.

Or, if the underscore is by itself on the beat, you could enter an m-dash (on Mac it's opt hyphen, I don't know the alt number on PC) and drag it down manually so that it is in the correct position.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you trying to do here? Pardon the possibly insulting question, but if you are trying to create a word extension, Finale has those built-in. If you are trying to put in an elision (two syllables from different words sung on the same note) there is an elision character (like a curved underscore) in a commonly-available font mapped to a diffferent character. I have misplaced my note about it, as it has been a couple of years since I had to do this, but Mark D. Lew here on the list told me about it; perhaps he will chime in.

Christopher