On 18 Mar 2005, at 7:01 PM, Jim Williamson wrote:

I don't know what you mean by everybody else.

I mean every professional copyist in New York.

Especially in show music,
production music, and on a great many recording sessions, the intro's are
likely to be lower case a, b, ect.

No. Not anymore, at any rate. A, B, C are used only for practical reasons -- inserts, etc. They have nothing to do with the form, except incidentally (some intros are introduced after the fact as inserts).

One of the reasons is that, in many
cases, intro's are changed (halfed, doubled, vamped, ect.) to fit time
issues or voice overs, ect. In that case bar 1 begins the main body of the
music for everyone regardlees of hackings.

Measure numbers have NOTHING to do with these issues. If a section is to be vamped, you write "VAMP."

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY