On Mar 18, 2005, at 5:09 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

On Mar 18, 2005, at 12:24 AM, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

 The first measure is the beginning of the harmonic
rhythm, and should be dictated by the composer's intention.

This is by no means necessarily the case. Partial measures are not numbered precisely because they are not full measures. This is made particularly clear when there is a repeat sign back to the beginning, and the pickup forms the back end of a measure that has already been numbered, just before the repeat sign.

As you mentioned, this may be yet another difference between classical and jazz conventions. I have never seen, not even once, a repeat in the middle of a measure in a jazz tune, even when it may have seemed obvious to have one, while I have seen them numerous times in classical works. DC's to partial pickup measures are not done in jazz, the pickup being part of the last measure before the DS.

Christopher