I think you guys should realize that you are arguing a "pop vs. serious" thing and leave it at that.

This discussion rang a bell at rehearsal today. We were rehearsing for a pop concert tonight with The Fifth Dimension (pop group from the 60's - still going strong[?] after all these years, with two original members out of the original, uhh, five). Their charts are a mess, with cuts, tacets, new endings, etc., and every chart seemed to have a different length of intro from what was printed. After one false start, the leader/pianist stops, and shouts out, "No, start at the very top - bar 9!" Gave me a serious chuckle.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra

Jim Williamson wrote:

It may not define form and I don't care. However, I've seen it that way a
million times and I like it.