On Jun 6, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 06 Jun 2005, at 9:55 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

A quick and dirty solution for just one file with dynamics already entered (with no other non-choral instruments with different requirements to mess things up) would be to just drag the below-the-staff-baseline up, over the staff.

Actually, that won't work with Finale's default dynamics. Expressions set to "Below Staff Baseline or Entry" cannot be dragged above the staff using the triangles.

You really do have to use separate choral dynamics defined for above-staff placement.

Aha! It's because they are set to "Below-staff baseline OR ENTRY". If they were set to "Below-staff baseline" only, then my method works.

Actually, if she has already entered a whole cartload of dynamics for the whole piece and needs to move them, then she should just edit the Note Positioning (or Measure Positioning, depending on which entry she used) to change it to Above Staff Baseline for the eight or so dynamics she probalby uses in the work.

Barbara, if you are reading, here it is for expressions already entered.

Double click on a dynamic, say the "f".

If it looked red, it is a Note-assigned expression, if it looked green, it is Measure Assigned. Click the box that corresponds to the kind of positioning you want to edit.

For Vertical Positioning, change the drop-down menu to "Above Staff Baseline or Entry"

Close the dialogue boxes. The "f" will now be above the measure.

Repeat for the other dynamics that appear in the work. No use editing any others, if they are not used.

In the Expression menu, select "Adjust Above Staff Baseline". Your arrows will now be the ones that adjust this expression.

If you have already dragged the 'F" around, you might want to clear the manual dragging. Drag a rubber-band box around all the expressions that you want to clear positioining for (or hit control A to select all) and hit Clear on a Mac (I think on PC it is backspace, but I am not sure. One deletes, the other clears positioning.)

There you go.

Christopher