On 6 Jun 2005 at 16:01, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

> Simon Troup / 2005/06/06 / 03:35 PM wrote:
>
> >I would have thought that any loss of time making the adjustment
> >would be paid back by closer parallel development in future.
>
> Hmmm, I don't know.  Can you name single app that makes user feel
> parallel dev benefits?  NI is obviously favor to Win.  I don't know
> about Finale.  I am doing one DAW beta testing that uses 8GB .dat
> file. The performance hit on Win is bad since it is encoded in Big
> Endian.
>
> I might have been dreaming but I just can't get away from thinking
> Finale wasn't this buggy before Win version was introduced :-(

Er, what?!??!

You'd be going back 15 years, as Finale came out on Windows before
version 2.01, which is the first version of Finale I bought.

It was *very* difficult to use, as it was clearly a port from the Mac
version, and had all sorts of assumptions about UI and behavior that
were Mac-centric, and not in line with the expectations of a Windows
user.

Of course, at that time, Mac OS was a much more mature and well-
designed GUI than Windows 3.0 (which is what WinFin 2.01 was designed
for -- that was before TrueType was integrated into Windows, and non-
PostScript printing wasn't very good on Windows, though still decent
in comparison to some of the other notation packages people were
using, with the exception of the Cadillac of the time, Score).

Finale became a Windows program for me with the switch to Microsoft
develompent tools made by Coda as part of their effort to create the
32-bit version of Finale. That happened, so far as I remember, with
WinFin97. At that point, the Mac version became the "port," if I'm
remembering correctly what Randy Stokes told us.

But I believe Code did not make the same mistake Microsoft did with
Word, and did not make the two programs identical -- they kept the
Mac version Mac-like, and the Windows version Windows-like.

Coda seems to me to have made the transition from 16-bit Windows to
32-bit Windows much more successfully than MakeMusic managed the
transition from Mac OS to OS X. This may very well have been
precisely because of the switch to MS development tools that made the
Windows transition so easy (with the exception of MIDI, which was not
successfully negotiated intil the second or third release of 32-bit
Finale).

It may be that a Windows orientation in the code base complicated
supporting OS X enormously. Or maybe it was just the requirements of
maintaining a single codebase for two very different OS's that was
the cause of the difficulties.

But it has only been recently that the Windows version of Finale was
not a poor stepchild of the Mac version.