On Jun 22, 2005, at 5:08 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I have written countless times for banjo, accordian, French horn, tuba, and jazz violin in jazz contexts (none of which are present in the GPO jazz collection)

Of course, so have I (some, anyway - French Horn, the most often), but as you seem to reasonably understand things (and as I do), none of these are standard doubles in a normal jazz band, so I wouldn't think they'd need inclusion. If those instruments are needed, then I understand the organization of the GPO marketing that would put them in the orchestra library and not include them in the jazz sounds. Anyway, that's how it makes sense to me.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836