Hi Darcy,

I haven't asked Gary, but I think what probably happened was that he simply ran into a saxophone player/collector who had all this stuff and who convinced Gary to take the time to record them all. All of what you write below makes sense to me, but I have another concern about this collection, and that is who played the instruments. There are so many variations in saxophone sound that I hope he got someone who is at least actually a real jazz player. I don't know who he got, or what he sounds like, but I'd forgo some instruments in favor of a tenor sound I could relate to (and there are many of them). Imagine - Wayne Shorter, or Lew Tabackin - big difference, and both beautiful, but who knows who Gary got. I do not get the idea that he is very jazz savvy. So we will simply have to wait and see, and whatever it is, it will be far better than what I am now saddled with - dumb GM or GPO bassoons that run out of range and sound rather wrong anyway.

Sometimes I think I should make all wind parts play some generic sustained sound, leave in the piano and bass, and imagine the rest. It's all just a sketch for me anyway, and I'd like it to be better than it is, but I never think for a minute that it begins to resemble a band. Even my students can get to the point that they sound better than the computer and, believe me, they are not great.

Chuck