On 29 Jun 2005 at 13:20, Aaron Sherber wrote:

> At 12:58 PM 06/29/2005, David W. Fenton wrote:
>  >Why would anyone use a 6 for 3 beats?
>
> Because if you have a section in quarter notes that's going back and
> forth between 4, 5, and 6 beats to the bar (for example), intermixing
> 4/4, 5/4, and then 3/2 can look confusing to the player. 6/4 makes it
> clear that the beat is still the quarter note.

OK, fine, but that's not 3 beats per measure. I was responding to
Darcy's remarks that he wasn't familiar with 6/4 used as anything but
3 beats per measure.

> I'm looking at a Hindemith score that uses 6/4 in exactly this way.
>
> I'm not saying I'd necessarily make the same choice, but I do
> understand the rationale.

If it's not one recurrent metrical structure throughout, it's not
really in 3/2. That is, in a context where you're switching
subdivision and accent patterns, it's fairly arbitrary which one you
choose.

But I was speaking to those sitautions where there *is* a pretty
clear underlying 3 to the meter, but where 6/4 is used for that --
that's a practice that makes little sense to me at all.