On 29 Jun 2005 at 15:01, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2005, at 2:20 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > On 29 Jun 2005 at 13:29, Christopher Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> The piece was in a medium 4/4, but at one point we needed an extra
> >> two beats (two half notes turned into a half and a whole) so rather
> >> than insert a measure of 2/4 and screw up everyone's bar numbers, I
> >> made it a measure of 6/4. That made it very clear that the beat was
> >> a quarter note, and there were six of them in that measure, rather
> >> than whatever 3/2 would have implied (beat is a half note, with
> >> three of them? More confusing for sight reading, IMHO, especially
> >> if I beat it in 6, which I did.)
> >
> > Well, to me, the confusion comes either way. If I saw 6/4 in that
> > context I'd think "two beats of dotted half,"
>
> None of the players Chris and I write for would make that assumption
> in playing our music.

To me, that's astonishing. It's the only logical interpretation I can
think of, at least as a starting point.

[]

> > If you
> > want to make sure that the 2/4 is not landed on like a downbeat,
> > then 3/2 seems to me to work very well.
>
> It's more confusing in a sight-reading situation that 6/4, and it
> implies an undesirable change in the rhythmic feel -- especially if
> there's a rhythm section involved.  If the drummer and bassist are
> playing mostly 4/4, if they see a bar of 6/4, it means "keep doing
> exactly what you're doing, but just insert two more beats before the
> next downbeat," whereas  3/2 or 4+2/4 both imply a more dramatic shift
> (in addition to being harder to read).

Well, obviously, it all depends on expectations. I find the
understanding of meter you describe to be incomprehensible, but I
guess there are dialects of meter that I'm completely unfamiliar
with.

Given the basic illogicality of the whole system of indicating meter,
I guess that shouldn't be surprising.

> > I was responding to the idea that a piece that is really 3 half-note
> > beats would be notated as 6/4, which makes no sense to me at all.
>
> There is no inherent or logical reason why 6/4 can't be 3x2/4, and in
> contemporary writing it's frequently used that way (especially at
> slower tempos).  The beam and rest patterns will immediately make it
> clear whether 3x2/4 or 2x3/4 is intended.

I completely disagree on the "inherent" and "logical" parts. There is
no logic at all to 6/4 as 3x2/4, because that's what 3/2 exists to
indicate. Using 6/4 in that fashion is a completely unnecessary
complication, one that is inherently ambiguous because of the fact
that it has another more common meaning.

Would you use 6/8 for measures with 3 quarter-note beats? If not,
then I think that's inconsistent with the claim that 6/4 is
appropriate for 3x2/4.

Again, let me repeat: in contexts where there is a recurrent shifting
between 3 and 2 beats, or other groupings of subdivisions or accent
patterns, all bets are off.

But if your music moves consistently in measures with 3 half-note
beats in each notating it as 6/4 looks illiterate to me. I can't see
what is accomplished by that that can't be accomplished more easily
and more clearly by simply using 3/2 (which means 3x2/4).

Maybe I have insufficient imagination.