On 29 Jun 2005, at 6:09 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

I infer from what you've wrote above about 6/8 and 3/4 that you agree
that a piece that never switches to 2 groups of 3 8ths should not be
notated as 6/8. I therefore think that it should be logical that you
would agree that 6/4 would likewise not be a valid time signature for
a piece that never groups the quarter notes in two groups of 3.

David,

I think the crux of the matter is this: as Chris said in an earlier post, the choice of rhythmic "denominator" has profound consequences in jazz and popular music, and if what you want is 3x2/4, 3/2 is not an acceptable substitute.

I would agree that for a nonjazz, nonpop piece that literally *never* groups the quarter notes into two groups of three, 3/2 is likely a better choice. But in contemporary music, such pieces are extremely rare. So, in pieces that involve a mix 2x3/4 and 3x2/4, you have to consider the context (how often do the shifts occur, which subdivision predominates, etc) and intelligent people may well differ about which time signature is most appropriate.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY