On 29 Jun 2005 at 15:45, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2005, at 3:32 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > Would you use 6/8 for measures with 3 quarter-note beats?
>
> Yes, of course.  This happens all the time in Afro-Cuban and South
> American music.  Usually, it's shifting . . .

That is, it's not in 3 quarter-note beats.

> . . . between subdivisions of 2 and
> 3 within the 6/8 bar, but sometimes there can be long sections where
> the 3 subdivision predominates.  But it's still a subdivision of 6/8,
> not an actual meter change to 3/4.

I see no problem with that. It's simply not an example of what I
asked about.

> Also, the Buleria is a 12/8 pattern that alternates bars of 4x3/8 with
> bars of 3x4/8.  It would be ridiculous to keep changing meter ever
> measure in this kind of situation.  You just write 12/8 and beam/rest
> appropriately, and everyone understands what's going on.

I've repeatedly said throughout this discussion that there is no
issue with choosing a single time signature for music that switches
between various ways of parsing the subdivisions and accentuation of
that meter.

My question is about cases where there is no such switching, where 3
is not just the predoninant pulse, but the only pulse. In that case,
I just can't see 6/8 or 6/4 as valid meters.

And that's all I've been saying all along, because that was what I
understood you to be saying about the use of 6/4, that was a
perfectly valid though uncommon meter for music moving entirely in 3
half-note beats.

I infer from what you've wrote above about 6/8 and 3/4 that you agree
that a piece that never switches to 2 groups of 3 8ths should not be
notated as 6/8. I therefore think that it should be logical that you
would agree that 6/4 would likewise not be a valid time signature for
a piece that never groups the quarter notes in two groups of 3.