On 29 Jun 2005 at 16:36, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> > 'd be interested to know about any piece in 6/4 before 1850 which is
> > clearly 3x2/4, do you know one?
> >
> > Johannes
> > --
>
> William Billings: "Modern Music." The text of the 6/4 section
> addresses the issue directly,  and makes it clear that compound 6/4
> was commonplace:
>
> "Through common and treble we jointly have run.
> We'll give you their essence compounded in one.
> Although we are strongly attached to the rest,
> Six-four is the movement that pleases us best."
>
> Numerous other examples could be cited, but this one is particularly
> blatant.

I understand neither the poem of the terminology.

To me "compound 6/4" means two beats, and that's not what Johannes
asked about.

It seems to me that 3/2 and 6/4 are exactly analogous to 3/4 and 6/8
in every way.

There are literally thousands of examples of music that exploits the
ability to shift between the two subdivisions within a single piece,
in all periods.

I'm not sure what the Billings quote adds, unless you're interpreting
it as meaning that 6/4 treated as 3 half-note beats. In that case,
I'm puzzled, indeed, as I know of no music from that period that does
that consistently (though plenty of patches within a piece notated as
6/4 may very well be in 3; see above).