Darcy Argue wrote:

BUT... having said all that, it's still a little galling to see Sibelius stealing "our" thunder like that. I think we came up with an excellent plan for dynamic score-part linking in Finale (one that, I should add, looks very very similar to the one Sibelius implemented), and it is disappointing that Sibelius got there first.

Darcy, you must be aware that Sibelius read this list and the Makemusic forums. (I know this from first-hand experience, trust me). So all of our discussions, while fruitful, in fact probably did a lot of work for Sibelius. Hence the similarities... Mind you it's a public list, so they're perfectly entitled to do so.

Makemusic in their wisdom don't officially monitor this list AFAIK. Allen Fisher is here, but not in an official capacity I believe?

With the linked-parts-score feature together with the video functions, and the lack of SMPTE in Finale, Sibelius is going to take over film music composing. There do seem many interesting features in the new Sibelius. For example, I'm interested to see how the new Helsinki font shapes up in comparison to the more traditional Opus font as well as Maestro.

However unless they've integrated Scroll View into Sibelius, made articulations draggable, added handles to slurs and other items, add a graphics creator/editor and release a free "Notepad" version of Sibelius for my students, (amongst many other things) then I will for the time being stay put. The hours of frustration from these missing/malfunctioning items will not quite compensate for saved hours in linking revisions in parts to score, as tempting as it seems: though it is getting much closer... Finale is going to have to lift its game.

Matthew