I believe Andrew and David said 12/12 was not the answer but did not say why.

But Creston has a valid point ( and a logical solution) so I feel duty bound to ask for clear arguments as to why it is unsatisfactory.

Really, it is elegant and straight-forward albeit (most likely) doomed.

12/8 is in fact 12/12.

What could be simpler?

Jerry

Almost anything, I fear. If there were such a thing as a twelfth note, intuition says it would be shorter than an 8th note; but the beat in (compound) 12/8 is carried by the dotted quarter, and there are four such beats in each measure, so the numerator ought to be 4 and if one insists on making the denominator a number, it ought to be 3, not twelve. If Creston were advocating for 12/8 = 4/3 I could see his point, but as it is 12/12 merely compounds (as it were) the imprecision of the notation because the absolute central requirement of any reformed notation of compound meter must be that the top of the signature reflect the actual number of beats in the bar.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/