John Howell wrote:

At 11:18 PM +0200 7/7/05, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

And much more basic: as Robert remarked it is absolutely essential to have separate spacing for each part. The way that Finale's spacing works I fear that this might indeed make the "one file, different views" approach incredibly complicated, as the data will have to be separated into "global" and "part" data, and in fact every element has to be effectively both, with individual decision on what is global and what isn't.

And I point out yet again that Mosaic has had this ever since it repaced the late and unlamented Professional Composer in about 1992, so it must not be all that incredibly complicated! Everything--galley, score and parts--is part of a single file, but spacing and other paramenters can be set up differently for each separate part, something obviously necessary for optimal page turns, without affecting the score. In fact the score itself is just another independent page view with its own layout.

John

Not being a programmer, I can only speculate, but I agree that if one application could do it in 1992, and another one has done it very elegantly in 2005 (in winXP and MacOSX), that a third application ought to be able to do it.

It's the direction the programmers are allowed to work, not their programming skills, which is the problem here. The marketing department (which is apparently the tail that wags the dog at MakeMusic) feels it isn't that important.

We've already been told that Finale almost had linked score/parts a while ago and it was nearing completion when it was yanked in favor of other programming directions.

So now we have textured paper and GPO, which is entirely a third-party thing, well actually TWO third-party things (Kontakt from NI and GPO from Garritan) with only minimal involvement(relatively speaking) from MakeMusic, instead of meaningful upgrades to the program itself.

More chrome bumpers added on so we can't see how flawed the chassis and drive train are becoming.

I'm beginning to feel like the young lady in the Fantasticks, when being shown the world by El Gallo and starting to lower her rose-colored glasses and seeing the misery of the real world -- he simply forced her to look through those rose-colored glasses again and things were fine. Seems like what MakeMusic is doing -- "don't pay any attention to those features you asked for as engravers and we haven't implemented yet, don't look at those flaws in the engraver slurs which we implemented but haven't got working quite properly yet, pay no mind to the inability to copy and paste everything accurately from file to file -- just listen to them fine GPO sounds! And rest your eyes on this textured paper! And don't forget how kind we were to you, all those years ago when we introduced staff styles -- don't go being unkind to us nice folks at MakeMusic! Man, those are some fine sounds, aren't they? Let's hit that replay button again!"

--
David H. Bailey