On Jul 14, 2005, at 11:51 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 14 Jul 2005, at 11:31 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I had to create a playback file for my jazz ear training class, and I ended up adding a lot of non-printing articulations to change note lengths where the performance practice required it (short quarter notes, in my case.) This idea might be useful to you if you have to do this often.

You mean you *don't* normally put articulations on *all* quarter notes (in a swing style)?

I have never had good results leaving jazz quarter notes up to chance. They are all marked either staccato or tenuto (or, of course, ^ or >).

<I> do, especially inside a phrase, but for the jazz ear training class' purposes I was trying to teach them common practice as well, when there is nothing (or very little) marked.

Also, I am not likely to mark quarters followed by a rest as short, even though they will almost certainly be performed that way. Finale sounds dumb holding them out full value.

And I actually prefer (for long accented quarters only) the combination sideways accent and tenuto, as the sideways accent alone has been used for short quarters for so long in standard repertoire that I can't count on players performing it full value.

And (and, and!) I have noticed the young cats coming out of McGill playing quarters marked staccato as a tongue-stopped staccatissimo. Very ugly! I had to dissuade them of that (it was my gig, so I could!) They claim that marking nothing at all will get the kind of fat, round-ended quarter I am used to.

Kids today!

Christopher