On Jul 15, 2005, at 12:27 PM, dhbailey wrote:

Neither is better in my estimation -- imagine sending a recording of a work you want published or performed to a potential publisher or director and having to explain that it's not actually a realistic sound becaue those extra clarinet or bassoon sounds aren't really extra clarinet or bassoon parts but are supposed to be saxes.

You have to suspend disbelief in order to accept any of these sounds.  They only remotely resemble the sound of the instruments they represent.  I'd like saxophones too, but when they come, they won't sound real anyway.  For me, it's not that much of a stretch to substitute a different inadequate imitation for what I hope will be a somewhat better inadequate imitation.

I'm not trying to start a war here.  I hope for improved samples and improved (and simple) control, as I assume many others do.  But I don't think it's going to ruin the "sketch" of my musical architecture for some of the colors to be off.  It's only a sketch.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836