On 17 Jul 2005 at 13:46, keith helgesen wrote:

> I think I agree with you! After all, (to sail VERY close to the wind), the
> assertion is around that the acronym for "File Under Carnal Knowledge" used
> to be placed on Police files- thus creating the slang term for- well, you
> know!
>
> I suspect that story is a load of rubbish!

Others have provided various etymologies for the word, but this
article:

  http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/fuck.htm

completely demolishes any possibility of an acronymic origin for the
word, as well as giving many of the same etymologies (though in a
much less certain tone than they've so far been reported).

All non-quoted content (c) David W. Fenton, all rights reserved