On 22 Jul 2005 at 19:04, Don Hart wrote:

> on 7/22/05 5:38 PM, David W. Fenton at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> So we can sexually discriminate based on a history determined by
> >> sexual discrimination?
>
> > Er, it isn't sex discrimination.
>
> What isn't: Catholicism's ban on females singing within it's walls or
> the "no female tenors" rule?

Irrelevant. The music was conceived for male voices, which meant male
voices were capable of singing it WITHOUT DAMAGE TO THEIR VOICES.

> >> That might not hold up in a court of law.  ;-)
> >
> > Only a court with a really stupid judge who couldn't tell the
> > difference between valid qualifications for musical tasks and brain-
> > dead stupid fantasies about equality.
>
> David, I just thought it was ironic you would more readily support a
> limitation on female singers because of a history that started out
> limiting female singers.

I'm not talking about limiting anyone based on gender. I'm talking
about dealing with the historical reality of what voices are
physically capable of doing. There's not question that male voices
can sing high without damage. Whether or not female voices can sing
low without damage, I don't know, but it seems to me that the
mechanisms of sound production probably mean that women can't
possible be as range-versatile as men.

The violin can't play notes below its g string (absent scordatura),
but the cello can play lots of notes that overlap with the principle
range of the violin. I'm not advocating that cellists take the place
of violinits. I'm just pointing out that physical realities of the
instruments have an effect on what range the instrument can produce.

When questions of "normal range" are on the table, it then becomes
important to realize that male and female vocal mechanisms are
physicologicall different, and, thus, any rules that are based on
that physicology are, of necessaity, going to have to reflect those
differences, or be seen as arbitrary and/or unfair.