On 23 Jul 2005 at 14:22, Mark D Lew wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2005, at 2:03 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > I can't think of any where the castrato is specified for a young
> > man's role.
>
> Idamante in Mozart's Idomeneo (original version) is one example, but I
> think you're on to something. . . .

Idamante is not a teenager. He's a young man, no? In his early 20s?

Secondly, if I'm remembering correctly, Idamante is one of the lead
roles, not a secondary role, as is usually the case with the young
male/teenage roles that I thought you were speaking of.

> . . . The association of the treble voice
> with male youth seems to start right about when the baroque era is
> coming to an end, so that the main examples of such roles were created
> by female singers rather than castrati.  In the baroque era, when
> castrati were still common, castrato roles were generally any hero
> regardless of age -- Orfeo, Giulio Cesare, etc.

I think your original formulation was mistaken, then, no?