On 25 Jul 2005 at 9:33, Colin Broom wrote:

> Richard Yates wrote:
>
> >I experienced the same from Daniel Spreadbury when I was trying out
> >the Sibelius demo. What was most impressive, in addition to the time
> >he spent, was his acknowledgment that Finale's adjustable and
> >programmed placement of articulations was superior to Sibelius'.
>
> This is all fine and well, and it sounds like Sibelius have a real gem
> of a guy working for them, who really likes his job - which is great.
> But all this praise of Sibelius tech support has in fact been of
> Daniel Spreadbury as far as I can see, and not necessarily in praise
> of Sibelius' technical support approach directly, and thus about
> individuals rather than companies.

These companies are small enough that individuals really *do* make a
difference.

That's why Randy Stokes was always such a good representative of Coda
(from my point of view), and made me feel confident in Finale's
future.

> It sounds like Daniel Spreadbury (who's Google rating must be
> rocketing by now!) is someone who seems to go above and beyond his
> normal job description to help out users of the program, which is
> great for Sibelius, and great for users.   Obviously it's entirely
> feasible that the whole Sibelius technical support team is like that,
> and if so, I would be the first to take my hat off to them, but is it
> not also possible that this is just one really nice guy?  Would the
> kind of unofficial involvements in forums and private emails continue
> were DS to decide to move on?  Would someone take his place as "the
> support voice of Sibelius"?  Does anyone have similar stories about
> other members of the Sib support team?

For companies as small as the ones that produce Finale and Sibelius,
a single person makes a huge difference.

And the absence of an individual would be as strongly felt as well
(e.g., my comments wrongly alleging that Randy Stokes had left
MakeMusic, based in part on his lack of presence on this list).