On 29 Jul 2005 at 19:48, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2005, at 6:24 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > That's a nice thing, though I'd never found it too hard to deal with
> > ("arco <cello>" always worked fine for me)
>
> It's much nicer not to have to assign three different versions of
> "arco" and "pizz" etc to three different metatools each.  (For "mute"
> you need *six* metatools!)  And of course, the GPO keyswitching
> expressions would ruin regular SoftSynth playback.

Oh, I agree that it's much easier to manage with fewer definitions,
but for those of us who've been defining playback already, we crossed
that hurdle a long time ago!

> > Question: do pizz/arco work with HP when *not* using GPO?
>
> It works with the Finale SoundFont, yes.
>
> > Is HP smart
> > enough to use General Midi definitions if that's what you've got
> > available?
>
> I would assume so, since the Finale SoundFont is GM-compatible.

Well, that raises a host of questions for me.

I had thought that the whole advantage of MakeMusic integrating GPO
into Finale was that it gave you extra control over GPO when using
Human Playback.

If HP works with any GM synthesizer, what's the advantage of GPO,
then?

Or does it work only with the Finale Soundfont?

Or does it work less completely with GM synthesizers instead of GPO?