On 29 Jul 2005 at 21:18, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2005, at 9:02 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> >> 2) GPO + Human Playback support numerous playing techniques not
> >> included in the Finale SoundFont, including true legato on slurs,
> >> fluttertongue and n.v. flutes, mutes for all brass (except tuba),
> >> muted strings, recorded string trills and tremolos, short bows
> >> (short, sharp upbows and downbows), automatically alternating bow
> >> direction, harp harmonics and sons étoufées, and so on.
> >
> > What if you had a synthesizer, software or hardware, that supported
> > those. Can HP be set up to automatically use those, or is that
> > something only GPO can do?
>
> Only if the synth used exactly the same keyswitches as GPO, which
> would be extremely unlikely.
>
> If they are included in your synth or sample package, you could, of
> course, access those playing techniques the traditional way (with
> channel-changing expressions), but it wouldn't be automatic, like it
> is with HP+GPO.

So, by not using the GPO that comes with Finale, you're sacrificing a
bunch of ease-of-use features associated with HP.

> > Here my question is basically the same as #2 -- given a synthesizer
> > (software or hardware) that supported these same varieties of
> > instruments, can HP be set up to utilize those sounds automatically?
>
> Here it's not a question of HP but of the setup wizard.  The Finale
> Setup Wizard automatically configures the GPO Finale Edition
> correctly.
>   (I haven't tested it with the full GPO yet.)  If you don't have GPO,
>
> you would have to configure the AU/VST setup manually, which can be
> quite time-consuming.  (Of course, even if you do have GPO, you have
> to configure the AU/VST setup manually for existing documents.)
>
> >> 5) GPO supports independent volume and velocity, so you can have
> >> sharply accented quiet notes or unaccented loud notes, . . .
> >
> > Er, isn't that just standard MIDI, with key velocity being different
> > from the volume controller?
>
> Not quite.  GPO has separate volume (which is on the standard MIDI
> controller for volume and is used for controlling the level in a mix)
> and actual dynamics (which are controlled by the mod wheel).  The
> volume doesn't affect timbre, it just makes the instrument louder or
> softer -- the mod wheel changes timbre.

Got it -- key velocity and volume work the way they always have, and
GPO offers an additional controller for timbre. Is it correct to
assume that the mod wheel changes *both* volume and timbre together,
or is HP (because of integration with GPO) just smart enough to send
data to both controllers for crescendos?

> > I'm assuming that GPO/NI is compatible with other more expensive
> > instrument libraries. To what extent do you get the same HP benefits
> > with those other compatible libraries?
>
> Depends how they are implemented.  The main advantage to HP+GPO is the
> automatic keyswitches for pizz, arco, mutes, etc, whereas if the
> keyswitches were different in your preferred package, you'd have to
> program your own keyswitching expressions.

But that means HP wasn't doing it, and it would be no different than
implementing playback before HP existed. Yes?

> > And does anyone fear that MakeMusic may have placed their bets on
> > the wrong horse in the sound samples race?
>
> Absolutely not.  GPO is by far the best and most popular package in
> its price range.

Is it going to remain that way?

I'm also concerned with the degree to which *Finale* is being altered
to interface with another program. Changes in that other program
external to Finale could then break things in Finale.

If MakeMusic bought GPO, then I'd feel better about it.