I agree, it's never been an issue for me either - more problematic is a reiteration of the same note later in the 2nd measure, and whether the measure rule applies from the tied note. But still the courtesy accidental is always the safe road. (I do like "curtsy" accidental though :-) - perhaps something in a French Overture?)

Ken