On 21 Sep 2005 at 23:56, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have been asked to do a choral piece, where the voices  are grouped
> two in the treble staff, and two  in the bass staff. The two upper
> voices must have stems pointing in the opposite  directions,
> regardless of their position on the staff. They also don't have the
> same rhythmic pattern. Example: The soprano voice is all eighth
> notes, while the alto voice is all quarter notes. Soprano is  all
> stems up, while alto is always stems down.
>
> The same conditions hold for the two voices in the bass staff. The
> tenor  voice must be all stems up, the bass all stems  down..
>
> Anyone know any magic tricks that will help me?

So far as I know the usual approach for this is to put the soprano in
layer 1 and the alto in layer 2 (same for tenor/bass). The default
layer options set layer 1 stems up when there are notes in layer 2,
and layer 2 stems down. By default, rests are also bumped up or down,
but I often turn that off because when the same value rest is in both
voices, I like to have a single rest, normally centered, instead of
two rests one above the other.

But if there are far more rests that need to be up or down than there
are rests that are identical, then I'd use the default rest offsets.