Chuck Israels wrote:

On Oct 23, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

On Oct 23, 2005, at 5:41 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

Hard to believe that this is the first time I've encountered a situation in which trill notation is ambiguous, but....

Anyway, I'm in F minor, and there's a flute trill from G flat, and I want it to trill to A flat. Do I indicate tr natural? or tr flat? Just what do those accidentals on trills indicate?

If you actually have a 4-flat key signature, then no indication is necessary other than "tr", as trills are diatonic by default.

This is the key piece of information. Can't believe I didn't know that. So the accidentals are only used when something other than the next higher diatonic note is needed. That's clear enough.

Thanks, Christopher

I'd not rely on this assumption. If the trill was on G natural, then yes, I'd accept the 'diatonic default'. But G flat is far enough away from the tonic key to potentially introduce all sorts of chromatic ambiguity.