At 10:22 AM +0100 11/6/05, dc wrote:
David W. Fenton écrit:
Johannes and Dennis C., and any others who edit older music, do you
think there's anything in the beaming angle of the original sources
that might be worth preserving? Do you also try to preserve the
beaming breaks and reversed beams?

Most of the early music I edit comes from printings in movable type, so there are no beams to preserve. But when the sources are either manuscripts or engraved editions, I do preserve the beaming breaks as a rule, but not necessarily the reversed beams (especially when the clefs aren't the same).

Dennis

In my own editing, my goal is to make the music intelligible to modern singers while retaining as much as possible of what I consider important in the original. In renaissance vocal music this includes removing bar lines (and eliminating ties across those bar lines) but putting the music in score, reducing note values to make it look as I want it to sound, and beaming across 8ths and 16ths rather than using the archaic separate flags. My singers are used to it, and read it just fine.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music