On Nov 6, 2005, at 7:15 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
Why would one keep the beam breaks and then discard most of the
reversed beams?

I don't believe either Johannes or I gave any indication of how many of the reversed beams we discarded.

Yes, sometimes these give indications about register or phrasing--in which case I don't discard them. Other times, it seems to be done merely to save space, in which case I feel perfectly free to either keep it or lose it depending on my own editorial requirements and/or esthetic judgement.

These same kinds of issues occur with a number of other notational elements such as clef changes, unorthodox stem directions, and cross-staff notation, all of which I will preserve or alter depending on both musical and typographic circumstances.

In short: it all depends.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/