Peter Taylor wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Owain Sutton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] PDFs on WinFin2005

There's nothing native in the Windows version to produce PDFs, so yes, third-party software will be necessary. There are free & cheap options around, PDF995 being one that I know of, but I've found these to not always be suitable for Finale output. Things like font embedding seem prone to getting screwed up.

I don't understand a scrap about font technology. Is this the reason why, whenever I try to create a PDF from a Finale (or Sibelius) file, every single music symbol becomes a bass clef sign? I'm using the Adobe PDF Writer printer driver, and I can't make it list any of the music fonts as being "available". It works beautifully with all the other programs I use, including MS Office and AutoCAD but, for the little need I have, I've given up trying to make music PDFs and I use a screen grabber to make TIFF files instead. Can I be sure PDF995 or any other program would be any better?

There are some things you have to check off, such as optimizing for portability and including fonts, which should make things work better for you.

--
David H. Bailey