Peter Taylor wrote:

I don't understand a scrap about font technology. Is this the reason why, whenever I try to create a PDF from a Finale (or Sibelius) file, every single music symbol becomes a bass clef sign? I'm using the Adobe PDF Writer printer driver, and I can't make it list any of the music fonts as being "available".

Try this: open the control panel, and select the area that controls printers. Look for the Adobe PDF writer, which should be represented in this area, and "right-click" on the icon, to open the drop down menu. Select "properties", and on the tab for fonts, make certain the box, "embed all fonts" (or words to that effect) is checked. When I have had problems such as you have described, this has cured them.

ns