After using FinMac 2003a for years, I downloaded 2006b on my Mac Powerbook and started playing around with it a little. I input a few measures using trumpets and timpani, just to see what I've been missing with the GPO orchestra. The sounds are amazing!

However, and this is a big however for me...I use Finale for preparing modern performing editions of primarily 18th and early 19th Century sacred Latin church manuscripts for chorus and orchestra. Since there are no "voice" sounds in the GPO sound list, I chose some instruments from the GPO instrument list, and then went to the non GPO list (sorry, not really familiar with the terms in 2006 yet) and added a soprano voice line. I then got a dialogue box that said I could either play the GPO sounds, or MIDI sounds, but not both at the same time. Ouch!!!

Any thoughts on this, or are most of you folks just doing either instrumental or vocal music, but not the kind of stuff I am with both chorus and orchestra on a regular basis? I'd love to be able to do a playback of my choral editions with the GPO orchestral sounds there.

Any thoughts?

Martin Banner