On 17.12.2005 Martin Banner wrote:
However, and this is a big however for me...I use Finale for preparing modern performing editions of primarily 18th and early 19th Century sacred Latin church manuscripts for chorus and orchestra. Since there are no "voice" sounds in the GPO sound list, I chose some instruments from the GPO instrument list, and then went to the non GPO list (sorry, not really familiar with the terms in 2006 yet) and added a soprano voice line. I then got a dialogue box that said I could either play the GPO sounds, or MIDI sounds, but not both at the same time. Ouch!!!

I guess you are talking about the setup wizard, with the GPO option selected. Forget it, it's a really good example for something that could work, but was so incredibly badly designed that it is completely useless for traditional music. At least that's my opinion.

Use the way you are used to setting up your score using the smart music sound font method in the wizard (I have a personalized instrument.txt file for this). When you are done with it, setup your GPO sounds manually. Choose whatever instrument you would like to replace the voice, from the GPO set. All this is hidden in the MIDI menu.

It is true that you cannot use both GPO and smart music sounds at the same time, but this should definitely not limit you in the appearance of your score.

Next, write to MakeMusic and complain. Ask them to fix the wizard, so that GPO is only your output device, and not the limit of your choice of instruments.

Johannes

(PS when I first saw this I couldn't believe my eyes. An engraving program which will only let you use staves for instruments that exist in it's very limited set of sounds. Unbelievable.)
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de