I honestly don't see the difference. Finale is one of the most powerful notation programs on the planet, and its interface reflects that. Balancing off getting things right without our input against giving us the power to change things is VERY complex! Sibelius maybe takes things out of our hands a bit more in return for a simpler interface (which I don't think I could live with as easily)...

Sibelius does indeed has a higher level of automation but it can be managed as easily as Finale if you know the program. Finale and Sibelius are both very mature and very capable. In the hands of an expert, either one can do extremely precise work, usually quite efficiently.

Five years ago, Sibelius people complained that Finale was too clunky while Finale folks said Sibelius was hard to control. Both charges had elements of truth, but no longer. They are just different. In some cases, one may be more suited to a particular task but, usually, it's just a matter of your preferred (or most comfortable) working method.

This being a Finale list, some will disagree with me. I have a long history with both programs (Finale v.2 and Sibelius v.1) and some experience for these opinions, but certainly don't expect all to concur. Kind of a different strokes thing.

Some of you find Sibelius' out of range warning insulting (you can turn easily it on or off and adjust the range as you prefer) while others think it's an innocuous little check. Some of you find Sibelius' automation insulting to your hard won Finale chops. My opinion is that with Finale I am thinking of the computer a lot; with Sibelius, I am thinking of music most of the time. You may be different. It's a big world. One day something will probably come along to beat them both.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com