On Jan 29, 2006, at 4:00 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

So, I don't want to overstate Mozart's "independence" of public
taste. But his father certainly lectured him repeatedly on taking
more account of the tastes of his audiences, which suggests that at
least one fine and perceptive musician thought he was not really
responding to popular taste in his compositions.

Heh, heh! So fathers haven't changed at all then? My dad constantly rags on me whenever he hears one of my pieces that he thinks is "difficult" to listen to.

Christopher (whose resemblance to Mozart ends there!)