On 29 Jan 2006, at 7:41 PM, Carl Dershem wrote:

Darcy James Argue wrote:

Actually, the majority of indie rock fans roughly my age (let's say 21-40) are all in favor of timbrallly, structurally, lyrically sophisticated music that challenges them as listeners. They don't want simplicity or sugarcoated accessibility or stereotypically pretty sounds, and they certainly don't want the vapid notions of "timeless beauty" or "sublime relaxation" that the traditional classical marketing campaign tends to emphasize.

From discussions I've had mith my nieces and nephews and their contemporaries, most of the music fans now want the same thing they wanted 50 years ago - something they could dance to. The percentage that actually gives a damn about the musicality of the piece are few and far between.

For most people, music is background sound, or just a beat.

Again, this does not at all describe the demographic I was talking about at all. (Not everyone 21-40 is an indie rock fan.) Go check out some indie rock blogs, or the forums on indie band sites. I can guarantee you that the people who are buying records by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah or Vashti Bunyan or Animal Collective or Wolf Parade or Sufjan Stevens or the Decembrists are not "looking for something they can dance to."

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://secretsociety.typepad.com