John Howell wrote:
At 10:53 AM +0000 1/29/06, Owain Sutton wrote:

Some good points, perhaps, although I think you need a bit more evidence before making such claims about Dufay or Josquin with such certainty!

In DuFay's lifetime the popularity of one's music can be measured by the number of manuscripts containing that music, and his is in lots of them. And Ottaviano Petrucci in Venice was one of the first printers of polyphonic music, a successful businessman, and therefore a shrewd judge of his own marketplace, and he chose to print and publish much of Josquin's sacred music.

The survival in manuscripts can be used as an *indicator* of such popularity, but it most certainly does not tell us about the reasons composers wrote the music they did. And survival in, for example, the Trent Codices tells us nothing at all about how frequently or widely the music was heard or performed.

Petrucci was a shrewd (or very lucky) businessman. But, we do not know who he sold books to, or even how many he sold. And it's most likely that he chose pre-existing music which he knew would sell well, and therefore is irrelevant in the context of how composers work.