Andrew:

When I read my comment

There is in the U.S. a dogmatic divide between "contemporary" and "classical" music that just does not exist in Europe.

and your reply

I reiterate (for the third time now in this thread, so far w.o rejoinder) that this is no longer the case in Philadelphia.

I suspect that we may not mean the same thing by "contemporary", that is, that I suspect you are using the word in a way that includes the late Alan Hovhaness, and I am not using the word in that same way. Doing a concert search of all concerts in all venues since 1 September, 2004, using the sole search paramter of instrument, and specifying "guitar", I come up with exactly one concert (Vanessa Williams, who I do include in the word "contemporary"). Admittedly, this was a quick and limited search (the only other one I did, was for guest, "McCartney", which resulted in no hits in the same time frame). My position is, though, that a joint concert between the Rolling Stones and a Symphony is far more likely than a joint concert between the Eagles and a Symphony orchestra; and that the Berlin Philharmonic would be more amenable to collaboration in such a concert than the Chicago Symphony. I note, for example, that the London Symphony has released a disc covering Rolling Stones tunes, and while the rocker Meat Loaf was born in Dallas, and has recorded with the Melbourne Symphony, he has apparently never appeared with a U.S. symphony. I would note, too, that I don't mean to suggest that such collaborations have not happened involving U.S. groups, merely that they seem to be more common in other parts of the world.

ns