At 11:43 PM -0600 1/29/06, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
Andrew:

When I read my comment

There is in the U.S. a dogmatic divide between "contemporary" and "classical" music that just does not exist in Europe.

and your reply

I reiterate (for the third time now in this thread, so far w.o rejoinder) that this is no longer the case in Philadelphia.

I suspect that we may not mean the same thing by "contemporary", that is, that I suspect you are using the word in a way that includes the late Alan Hovhaness, and I am not using the word in that same way.

I think that Noel is correct in this, and I have noted that other writers have also confused the two.

"Contemporary" means something that is happening today. But clearly there is more than one thing happening today in music, and I suspect there always has been. One can speak (correctly!) about contemporary classical or "art" music, contemporary country music, contemporary rap music, contemporary jazz, contemporary Christian, etc., etc., etc. Contemporary is not a style; by definition it is many different styles. And in the classical world, Honneger or Hovhaness are hardly contemporary, since the term implies living composers.

Now as to Noel's comments on collaborations between the symphonic and pop worlds, I have been involved in a great many of these over a period of many years. In almost every case (and I can't remember any exception), it is never a true collaboration, but a headline act for which the symphony serves as a backup band. Symphonies do it not because they embrace pop, country, or rap "artists," but because they want to bring new people into their concerts, and it does work, but those new people will almost NEVER come back to a symphony concert because they were there to enjoy the headliner and nothing else.

This is an interesting part of the music business, but let's not forget that it is a business. The artists who are interested in appear with orchestras have to make a considerable investment in symphonic arrangements and provide copies to the orchestras. The orchestras have to pay the headliners their current rates and hope to recoup the cost from increased ticket sales.

An artistic statement? Can't see it that way, and I've been involved on both sides of the fence, both as a member of a headline group and as an orchestra member playing an uninspiring series of whole notes, interrupted by moments of sheer panic written by someone who does not grok string technique!

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music