At 2/15/2006 01:12 PM, Mariposa Symphony Orchestra wrote:

Point well taken re: Tchaikovsky, but I've usually felt the reason for the bass-clar substitution for the bassoon solo (I'm guessing you reference the end-of-exposition sec of the first movement of the 'Pathetique' - clarinet solo descending and then picked up for the final four notes of the line by bassoon - pppppp) is one of timbre as much as volume.   I find that substitution a little uncomfortable; Tchaikovsky knew exactly what he was doing - the movement begins with that bassoon solo and there's a nice bit of closure to the section by ending it with a (brief) bassoon exposure.    If he had wanted the smooth continuation of clarinet timbre he would have written it.    I really don't think Tchaikovsky was looking for a discernable px6 distinctly audible from a px5 or any other volume delineation; I think he was simply saying "HEY!  Give me the softest, quietest, nearly inaudible sound you can produce!"    I think it was his way of saying ABSOLUTELY the quietest of quietest.

Point taken, but as a professional bass clarinet player (a while ago) ppp was the least you were going to get

I agree with David, voodoo dynamics.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley