At 02:15 PM 2/15/06 -0500, David W. Fenton wrote:
>There's an infinite number of dynamic gradations. But
>there's no way to actually notate them all, so proliferating the
>dynamic markings at the extremes really doesn't accomplish anything
>useful, in my opinion, except of the "voodoo" variety

Saying 'no way' doesn't alter the fact that gradations are getting finer
without any voodoo whatsoever. We're increasingly clarifying the
interpretation on the page itself, and in our recordings. An infinite
number is still a few years away...

Seriously, there are documentated ways of notating fine gradations of
dynamics. They include the fully relative groups (such as the standard
dozen through the +/- systems and the 20-level decimals and notehead sizes)
and the absolute-relative groups (such as SPL, Midi volume, and NRPN codes)
and the absolute groups (such as dB, RMS pressure, and dynes/sq.cm.).

The desire to notate or otherwise fix more subtle gradations increases as
music moves out of its past into its future. That's how it's been, and
there's no reason that it will stop as we continue to educate our senses
and develop tools to identify what we have learned.

And there are documented performances, real and virtual, successful and
not. Failure exists only so long as something can't be done. Once success
is achieved, then there is yet another ladder of professionalism added,
just as multiphonics are now commonplace in the instrumental vocabulary.

Anybody who's ever sat at a mixing board for hours knows how subtle these
levels can be, and how they can be achieved with a combination of attentive
performers, acoustic balance and mixing skill.

Whether dynamic gradations are more relative than absolute are notational
and performance choices, and whether these interact with coloristic
tendencies or group dynamics just makes them part of the whole. I think you
and Lee and others and I all agree on that.

Nevertheless, fine gradations are present and accounted for, and moreover,
have meaning and usefulness and musicality.

You know, there was a lot of music written in the 20th century that
couldn't be played well, if at all. Younger performers are coming along in
this century laying waste to that idea. Music that once sounded awkward and
crude and full of errors is now tight and elegant and nearly flawless.
Hearing it is a joy.

Tell me that there's a class of performers who can't play refined dynamics
and tell me that there's a class of composers who aren't interested in them
and tell me there's a class of  directors who couldn't distinguish an mf
from a 6.0 from a 64, and I'll heartily agree with you. But refinement
exists and continues. 'Tain't voodoo.

Dennis

--

Please participate in my latest project:
http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/365-2007.html