"Robert Patterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> A more interesting question for clefs with CB is whether to continue
> to notate them 8vb below sounding pitch. This can be a quite difficult
> choice. A note that has excessive leger lines in 8vb bass clef can be
> too low in at-pitch tenor or treble.

> My understanding is that professional bass players can routinely read
> 8vb bass, 8vb tenor, and at-pitch treble.  I'm not as sure about
> at-pitch tenor. In any case, any clef change probably requires a
> notation as to whether it is 8vb or at pitch.

I don't know of any convention that string bass parts in tenor or treble clef should be played at pitch. I would hope that if that was required it would be annotated specifically. One meets treble clef rarely, but on the three occasions that I have played Shostakovich's 10th symphony, I have played the (fiendish) treble clef passage in the scherzo with the 8vb transposition, as a continuation of the bass clef convention. So did all the other players, and the conductors never commented.

As a late comer to the bass, after many years of piano and horn, I much prefer treble to tenor clef and, after a fair amount of score reading, prefer alto to it also.

--
Ken Moore
Musician and engineer