On 17 Feb 2006, at 19:28, Raymond Horton wrote:

Somewhere along the way, someone added three trombone and timp parts to the overture that are commonly played, and these are in the Dover-Ricordi score (I just looked at the latter yesterday, AAMOF.)

Michael Cook wrote:
No, the trombone parts are original Rossini. I don't have access to the different versions of this overture that were used for the other two operas, but the trombone parts certainly come from one of these versions.

Michael, please note that I purposely did not say someone ELSE added the trombone parts. I said SOMEONE, specifically to leave open the possibility that it was the composer. I just had the internal evidence: The parts seem to be old, (before the later 19th century when the valve tenor trombone took over in Italy, because the first part is quite high, putting it sqarely in alto trombone register). This would put the parts more likely in the composers pen than a later arranger, if all on I had to guess were the notes themselves. Since you have other evidence, that I don't I'll take your word. (Although I recall seeing a score, many years ago, with the first part not so high, so that is another confusion. Perhaps Rossini revised it for another performance with no alto trombone?) Does the first trombone part you have go up to high D at the breakup strain in the middle?

RBH