At 10:46 PM +0000 2/18/06, John Bell wrote:
On 18 Feb 2006, at 22:38, Darcy James Argue wrote:

However, with string sections, you have a lot more leeway than you do with winds or solo strings, as half the section can keep playing while their stand partners turn the page.

No Darcy please! That is not acceptable!

John

It may not be optimal, but it's certainly acceptable, and it's what's done in every orchestra and probably has been for as long as there have been orchestras (about which I have some issues with Andrew's definition!). What makes it unacceptable in this one case?

And while I'm at it, is your statement that you cannot do the part on two pages based on your perception that it is too crowded, and have you compared it with Breitkopf parts for the standard literature which are perfectly readable even if more crowded than many modern parts?

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music