On 19.02.2006 Michael Cook wrote:
Yes, do put page turns in loud passages if possible. The noise of a lot of
pages turning can be very distracting: let your violins turn in a tutti passage
where, I repeat, you will not notice the difference in sound while half of them
stop playing to turn the page. Why is this? I don't know, but it's true. The
sound of a large string section is a very complex thing and is constantly
changing, so maybe the difference that occurs while some of the violins
interrupt the sound just gets swallowed up in the waves of changes that pulsate
throughout the phrase. Some people have suggested that the violinists who
continue playing compensate automatically for the drop in volume.

In fact, a good orchestra will turn such that hardly ever half of the section has to drop out at any time. Some will turn early, some a little late. In very exposed passages a good section will make sure that they pencil in a few bars before or after the page turn to avoid simultaneous turns.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de