On 19.02.2006 dc wrote:
Johannes Gebauer écrit:

Unless they are completely full of passage work you are either using too large
notation, or too small a page size.

What's the smallest acceptable size for parts (in percentage reduction)?

Depends. Orchestral parts, especially string parts need to be relatively large to make up for bad light, stand sharing etc. I generally use around 80%, and try to not get any smaller than 70%. This is for A4 parts. If I ever get a bigger printer to print larger parts I may use even larger percentages for orchestral string parts. Anyone who has played in a badly lit opera pit with limited space knows why.

For my own use I have used smaller in certain situations, especially solo violin parts, to avoid any unnecessary page turns. I also prefer to not have to have more than 2 pages next to eachother on the stand, because in real life concert situations these tend to cause problems. A little adrenaline and an easy page turn might turn into disaster. Or I forget to unfold the third page, with no time to do it once the movement has started.

I also find that slightly yellowish paper is a must for orchestral parts. I don't have particularly bad eyes, but reading a whole opera from photocopied parts on blinding white copying-paper is a nightmare for me. Even worse if they are grey in grey. It makes for bad tempered musicians, and less accurate playing. In the end everyone is unnecessarily frustrated. Also, the standard copying paper bears a potential risk of cutting your hands when turning pages. Although that will make the performance quite "exciting" I'd rather avoid life blood on stage.

Lots of things you learn from regular orchestral playing.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de