At 03:07 PM 2/19/06 -0800, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
>> Mein Gott ... I'm just remembering my MA Thesis, which composed in
>> 1965 or so, and consists of 87 pages of score for 22 wind instruments.
>>  I, of course, hand copied the thing using india ink on vellum from
>> Cameo Music in Hollywood, working 8 hours per day and averaging 4
>> pages of MS each day. I still have an indentation on my right index
>> finger!  Just for fun, and to see what it really sounds like (more or
>> less), I've been transcribing the first movement to Fin06/GPO. I'm
>> still averaging about 4 pages per day, 'cause that's about all I can
>> stand of it, but it only takes about an hour to do that much. Times
>> have certainly changed.

They have indeed. I shouldn't contribute to a bad-ole-days thread, but
can't help myself.

I moved to Cologne for a month in 1991, and spent the entire time copying
the parts for my 25-minute "Softening Cries" for string quartet and large
orchestra. Then I had to leave for several months in Amsterdam. Of course,
one of the first things I ordered when I arrived home the next June for the
performance was Finale ... but it wasn't until five years later that I got
back to Cologne to see the city.

Dennis

--

Please participate in my latest project:
http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/365-2007.html