In a message dated 3/31/06 1:01:50 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
<< From: Phil Daley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [Finale] music literacy
Is "rap" music?    I don't think so, only in the way that African drum beats
are music. To which I would vote "no" . Maybe we need to back up another step
and define "music"? >>

I would also vote "no". Rap may have some musical elements in the background
(some very basic harmonies, usually playbacks from older recordings of other
performers), but essentially it is poetry, with dance moves onstage. (Awful
poetry, but maybe relevant/appropriate in the way protest songs had been
conceived.) I've always believed that music means modulated tones, if not some
toe-tapping melody, at least recognizable pitches...
Just my humble opinion,
Steve
NYC