Then, as now, almost all contemporary music was/is dross. ("Then" being whichever period, era, or style is your preferred poison.)

For my money, the most influential and still-viable music of the last 50 years (in any style) is the Beatles, and no other music I've heard comes close. I do not discount the possibility that contemporary styles can produce a music of equal staying power, but I do not think they have yet.

After McCartney sang the Superbowl half-time last year, another new generation became enthralled with the Beatles. I am continually amazed how each successive generation rediscovers and owns them. (We boomers may have appreciated Goodman or Ellington. I certainly have. But we never *owned* them: they always belonged to our grandparents.)

That said, something that is fundamentally different now than just about any previous period I can think of, especially pop music of the last 50 years, is the complete splintering of taste. My impression is that there no longer is any music that essentially everyone knows, even within a single demographic or age bracket. I think this makes it far more difficult for the next Beatles or the next Beethoven to emerge. Whether such emergence is important I leave as an exercise for the reader.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com