Obviously, that can't be it, since hip-hop has pitches, and (very often, for the past 10 years or so) singing as well as rapping.

In Phil's case, it's pretty clearly not the music he's rejecting, but the "culture". Interesting that he also does not consider traditional African music "music" either. He's clearly not a fan of that "culture" either.

I wonder what Phil would think of my friend Sherisse Rogers, who (like everyone our age) grew up listening to hip-hop and still does. She got a Masters in composition from the Manhattan School of Music, has won all the major prizes available to a jazz composer (ASCAP/IAJE Emerging Composer Commission, BMI's Charlie Parker Composition Award, and the Gil Evans Fellowship, got a four-and-a-half star review in Down Beat for her premiere record, and has brought her big band band to venues like The Jazz Gallery and Jazz at Lincoln Center's Dizzy's Club.

But Phil seems to believe it's impossible for someone from such a "culture" to become a "legitimate" musician...

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://secretsociety.typepad.com
Brooklyn, NY

On 31 Mar 2006, at 1:04 PM, Phil Daley wrote:

At 3/31/2006 12:43 PM, Owain Sutton wrote:

>OK, you started this one, so you can answer it first - how DO you define
>music?

Pitch and rhythm.  Words are secondary.

Rap has rhythm.  End of story.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >